I struggle with anger. Just anger and irritation over stupid stuff. It’s mostly just with my kids and electronic devices. I’m not proud of it. I’ve got mounds of patience for other things, but for some reason when it comes to my kids and electronic devices, I am a hot head. I’m trying really really hard to overcome it, but it is a daily struggle.
So here is a thrown together list of some things I do that help me to get over my anger. Maybe you’ll find some of them useful, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’re cool as a cucumber and never lose your temper. I commend you!!
– Listen to James Brown and The Beatles. I can’t be mad while listening to James Brown and The Beatles. And I can be fuming mad and listen to Drive My Car and by the time the song is over, I’m fine.
– Walk away. Go outside. Take a breather. Count to ten or 100. Just. Take. A. Break.
– Write what I’m mad about. That’s why I write about Mikey so much. He drives me crazy. I love him, but he sets me on edge…a lot. But as I type out whatever he did that made me angry, it usually becomes funny. Seeing it in print takes the edge off.
– Surround myself with happy stuff…happy colors, happy pajama pants, happy sunglasses, happy pillows, happy coffee mugs… I can only be so mad wearing rainbow striped pajama pants and drinking out of a mustache cup.
– Smell Phillip. I know…gross, but burying my face in his neck or chest is like a drug to me. He instantly calms me. But you can’t bury your face in Phillip so step off.
– Clean or organize. If I’m really really mad, I clean. Yesterday I ferociously cleaned our master bathroom shower.
– Call or text a friend and tell her what I’m mad about. Hearing my feelings put into words usually makes me realize it’s not that big of a deal. And having a friend who will validate you, but not let you stay stuck is such a gift. I have many great friends I can call, text, or email any time and I know I won’t be judged.
– Chocolate. I know it’s not “vegan” but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
– Pray. I don’t do this nearly often enough, but I should put it on the list anyway. But to be honest, praying doesn’t usually occur to me when I’m really mad.
I’m sure there are more things, but that’s all I can think of at the moment. Have any other ideas for me?? Just don’t tell them to me when I’m mad.